Monday, January 26, 2009

Circumflatulating, Iceland Gull Study

Yesterday went down to Eastern Point for a little fresh air and sunshine. B had to write another paper for her class and this wouldn’t be a fun outing for her because I wanted to go photographing birds and the weather is cold and nasty. So now that I'm home and warm, I'm just circumflatulating while B finishes her paper.

Iceland Gull © 2009 ShootingMyUniverse

I was walking back to the parking lot and this bird allowed me to get in pretty close. I actually kneeled down in the gull poo to get a better, lower angle. If it wasn’t winter and I wasn’t already shivering, never mind being about 10 pounds too heavy, I would have gotten lower on eye level with the subject.

Iceland Gull © 2009 ShootingMyUniverse

Iceland Gull © 2009 ShootingMyUniverse

12 comments:

Roy said...

Its tough work this nature photography Steve, great shots.

A New England Life said...

Gull poo, extra weight, and freezing temperatures aside, I'm not sure how much more 'on his level' you could have been! Nice photo's Steve.

Do I detect a drop of water on the end of the bill in the first picture?

John Theberge said...

Great shots, it was worth kneeling in the poo!

Eve said...

You did good Steve. I love the DOF in the second photo! That gull in the background!! Perfect composition!
Ahhh another great post from the Universe!

Mary said...

If faut sauffrir pour etre un photographer.

Great job!

Tabib said...

What can I say, great portrait shots. Love them all.

Richard said...

More great pictures. You are sure setting the standards high for all us that try to get good pictures of the birds. That's OK...I love a challenge even if it isn't an official one....:-)

Steve B said...

Thanks to each and every one of you. You all do such great work and are hard working bloggers. I'm glad you can carve out a few seconds to stop by.

To answer Sharon's question...we all had runny noses out there! Yes, the gulls often will secrete moisture from their bills. That is what you see in this Great Black-backed gull photo.

Kallen305 said...

What great pictures. I can't believe how close you were able to get to the gull.

The Early Birder said...

WOW...Superb compositions Steve.
The closest I ever got to an I.G. was over 500m - looking thro' a scope in driving rain.
Ditto Richard's comments - You set a standard way outside 'my universe' but I'll keep trying!

Jenny said...

I'll echo everyone elses comments, fabulous photos Steve, so crisp. I can't seem to get there (see my new post with the Glaucous Gull)! As someone else said tho, something to aim for!
I really love the low angle you got even if you had to suffer the Gull poo! (-:

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Great shots Steve. I wonder how they get to walk with those feet, it seems so clumsy.

Related Posts with Thumbnails