Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Church in the Ice

© 2008 ShootingMyUniverse

On our Sunday drive to meet up with family in Keene, NH, we drove through part of the region hit by last weekend’s ice storm. This is New England. I’ve lived through ice storms, earth quakes, forest fires, tornados and severe thunderstorms that dumped six inches of hail and washed out roads. I’ve lived through the Blizzard of ’78 and through the April 2003 snow storm that left 4 feet of wet snow in Denver. Yes, Ma Nature can be hard.

© 2008 ShootingMyUniverse

It is easy for me to find beauty in this. We only got two inches of rain in Gloucester. In the region where the ice storm hit, there are folks that are still without power. I send them my best wishes.

© 2008 ShootingMyUniverse

When I shot these photos, the air was perfumed with the smell of evergreen. It was then I realized the extent of the damage. Driving across Rt 2 we saw numerous utility trucks heading towards the area. The air was filled with the sounds of buzzing chainsaws as people brought order back from the chaos.

As we drove through small towns between Princeton, Massachusetts and Keene New Hampshire, there were downed power lines, uprooted trees and streetlights malfunctioning. This is without a doubt the worst ice storm that I have ever seen.

American Crow on ice coated tree. © 2008 ShootingMyUniverse

New Englanders are a hardy bunch. Without a doubt, as some point, each and every one of us will marvel at the beauty.

11 comments:

Mary said...

Oh, my. I, too, have lived through horrible ice storms and blizzards when living in MD and DE, Steve. But, New Englanders are a hardy bunch, no doubt. The wonder and beauty of it all (captured so well in your lovely photos) almost makes one face the disaster a little less seriously? I doubt it.

Stacey Huston said...

Great job. find the beauty in all things...the church photo would make a perfect Christmas card.. thanks for sharing.. and stay warm

Kallen305 said...

What stunning photographs!! I cannot believe all the ice they still have. Ours is just about gone thank goodness.

Beautiful photos Steve.

Eve said...

One of my sharpest memories of our ice storm of 98 was the absolute silence the next morning shattered by what sounded like gun shots in the woods. It was the sound of tree limbs breaking. The dark nights and the sound of generators running through the night. I could hear them when I turned mine off to fill it up with gas. What a beautiful but devastating phenomenon!! These are great documents Steve.

Kerri said...

It is beautiful!

A New England Life said...

Eve,

You described it perfectly! The snapping of tree's and branches all around us was amazing. As was the beautiful glitter from the ice. We had no idea on Friday morning how bad things really were for our area, but it wasn't long before we found out!

Wonderful pictures Steve! Your photos really bring to life the devastation of the area. Among several others, this is one storm I will NEVER forget.

Sharon

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

We heard about this on our news broadcast Steve and I do have a lot of sympathy for people getting caught in it. You have some terrific pictures here and have managed to show us the beauty of it too.

Steve B said...

Hi Mary, Yes, the New Englanders will look back at this and have a gleam in their eye when they recall the "Ice Storm of 08" or what ever name gets assigned to it.

Hi Stacey, thanks for stopping by again. Such feeback from a photographer of your caliber makes my day.

Kim, I'm glad you are warm and dry. These photos are from the Mount Wachusett area. I think you're pretty close.

Eve, I was in Colorado during the '98 storm. A lot of people are talking about that one.

Hey Kerri, good to hear from you again too!

Sharon is just a little north of me, where I was lucky and only got two inches of rain, she was in the ice.

Hi Joan, wow, all the way to South Africa. This is the first time B has seen an ice storm. She marveled of the beauty also.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Coming from sunnier climates it must be strange. But like me, I guess we all appreciate the beauty to be found in it even though we might be shiviering out b***s off!! LOL!!

Mary said...

I know it is destructive, but oh, how beautiful it is! That shot with the church is simply gorgeous. :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you from an English teacher teaching Robert Frost poetry in a land where ice storms are unknown, or at least very rare.

Related Posts with Thumbnails