Saturday, October 25, 2008

Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning.

Last night the sky was clear as a bell. I woke up at 3:00, excited that it was Saturday and I'd be able to get out to shoot the sunrise. I tossed and turned until about 4:00 and slept until 6:00. The sky was overcast and it looked like the cloud bank was quite extensive. Disappointed, I tried to go to sleep.

At 6:30, I saw a glimmer of red coming through the dusk. I leaped out of bed and threw on my cloths and was out the door in five minutes. Down the road I headed. I could see that the colors were developing quite rapidly, and didn’t think I could make it up to Rockport to shoot Thacher Island. I made it to Good Harbor, about half way and hit the beach. This is the results.



Thacher Island.



Salt Island



Bass Rocks. Always look around during sunrises and sunsets. You never know what you will see.

For these photos, I stopped down to get a longer exposure. This gives the waves an ethereal, softer look. Using the fastest shutter speed, approximately 0.1 seconds would have given the water a coarser look, detracting from the main subject. These shots were on the order of five to ten seconds. In true SMU fashion, I have not altered the colors.

Post script: As far as the famous weather adage, "Red sky at night, sailor’s delight. Red sky in morning, sailor’s warning." The wind is howling! Here is the present weather statement from the National Weather Service.

"Overnight: Showers, mainly after midnight. Some of the storms could produce gusty winds and heavy rain. Low around 55. Windy, with a south wind between 25 and 30 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New rainfall amounts between a half and three quarters of an inch possible. "

11 comments:

~Laura~ said...

Steve I was just going to ask you if you had see the Peregrine Falcon at the city hall then I saw your post with his picture. Great news he's still there, I was so hoping he wouldn't relocate.

A New England Life said...

These photo's are incredible! What a glorious morning it must have been for you. And to think so many people slept right through it.

I was looking around your page Steve but couldn't find what kind of camera you use. Would you mind telling me? Mine is just a cheapo but it does okay.

Steve B said...

I'm packing two Nikon D80s, a 18-200mm and a 70-300mm. I use an embarrassingly cheap tripod (I left my big-boy tripod by Eastern Point Lighthouse on evening) and the remote shutter release for long exposures.

Using your blog, as an example, it's not the camera, it's the photographer. I've seen some pretty amazing photos taken with point-and-shoots. The PHD, (push here dummy) cameras these days are very powerful.

When it came to wild bird photography, I couldn’t take the shutter lag of the Cannon Powershot A70 anymore. Finally my wife got tired of my complaining and told me to “get a big-boy camera and stop whining”. Since then, she stopped using the point-and-shoot and claimed one of them for her own!

Steve B said...

Hi Laura, a few weeks ago, I was walking with a couple of buddies during lunch up at Dogtown and I could have swarn I saw a Peregrine fly over head. I'm glad you got to see it too!

Eve said...

A good saying to live by Steve! Absolutly beautiful pictures and color!!

Steve B said...

Thanks Eve, Some people pooh-pooh these sayings, but let me tell you…last night was NASTY. The wind howled until 5:00 this morning with driving rain.

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

Oh dear!! How come I missed this one?? Stunning images Steve. When I see these pictures of yours I often think it would be nice to live close to the sea or a lake. It always seems so peaceful.

Richard A. said...

Awesome photos! Just love the colors and their interplay.

Steve B said...

He Richard, Welcome to SMU. Richard is one of our friends from Smells Like Grape.

Leo said...

Steve you have some wonderful images here. The Thacher Island shots are beautiful. I visit your blog often to get my daily dose of "Gloucester".

Kathleen Valentine said...

M-m-m-m-m --- almost surreal. Love the light in these.

Related Posts with Thumbnails