Monday, October 6, 2008

A morning with Geoff Coe, Photographer

Geoff Coe, Bird Photographer. (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

A year ago, my wife told me that a friend of hers was coming to town and we should head out to Plum Island and do some birding. Her friend turned out to be Geoff Coe, a Florida based photographer. The time came for his arrival and it turn out that he threw his back out so we didn’t get together.

A year passed and my wife got the email, Geoff was coming up to New Hampshire for a conference. This time, we should be able to get out. Along came Friday and I got a splitting sinus headache and 100.4 temperature. Say it ain’t so! I broke my fever early Friday evening and Saturday came and I decided the shoot would take place!

As we left the house, she asked me if I was bringing both cameras, i.e. “her camera, too”. Well, yeah.

We met Geoff in the parking lot of the Audubon Center, my wife introduced us. We all pulled out our gear and headed for the reserve. Massachusetts can be pretty tame compared to Florida in October, but you never know. We should have some winter birds here.

We headed to the beach and found some winter Ring-billed, Herring and Great Blacked-backed gulls.

Juvenile Great Black-backed gull. (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

We had three Northern Harriers fly over a dune but no peeps or Sanderlings. This one almost got away because I was caught with my camera in my new bag and I was futzing around with the zippers!

Northern Harrier (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

We did stop at some pools to shoot some Greater Yellowlegs, Canada Geese, juvenile Mute Swans and a Great Blue Heron. Here Geoff and I discuss how the Great Blue Herons are used to people down in Florida but the herons up north are skittish. I’m amazed that this one continued hunting grasshoppers as we approached. I did squeeze off a few frames. Geoff has lots of fantastic wading bird shots but this is the closest I’ve ever been to a Great Blue Heron.

Steve and Geoff swap war stories while lining up a shot of a Great Blue Heron. (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

Great Blue Heron (c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

Later we stopped by a dune, photographed the Mockingbird that I posted yesterday and walked to the beach where we found a few dozen Monarch butterflies that I will post soon.

It was a great morning as we swapped birding stories and just had a great time. I think my wife had fun too. We both were glad to have her company and although she didn’t shoot any birds, she did get some nice photos for her blog which I’ll point to when she posts. [9 Oct 08. B posted her photos on SLG.]

To learn more about Geoff Coe and see his awsome work visit Wild Images Florida.

4 comments:

John Theberge said...

Sounds like you had a great day and got fantastic photos to post too.

SAPhotographs said...

My first thought was "Oh no!!" and then I read on and learnt you had actually managed to get out with him for the day. Beautiful shots here Steve. That Heron is an excellent shot!!

Steve B said...

Johh and Mary, we had an excellent day. Not to busy to take time between shots to chat, my wife was enjoying the day and just a great day.

A New England Life said...

Love the Heron! In the summer they frequently fly over our house in the early evening. The bay is nearby so we they tend to be quite plentiful.

Beautiful photography.

Related Posts with Thumbnails