Thursday, October 23, 2008

Gloucester City Hall Clock Tower

The clock tower on our historic city hall has been behind scaffolding all summer long hiding a new copper roof. I’ve just been itching to photograph this. Today I was really excited to see that some of the scaffolding has come down.

We’ve had rainy weather and the morning started out cloudy and butt cold. By the time I got home from work, the sky was bright blue. I like to decompress after work so I grabbed the 300mm and headed out for a stroll. I had no idea what I was in for.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse



This is what the clock tower looked like before work started this spring.
(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

Cracked paint, broken trim work and missing sections of roof.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse



My goal was to capture an image of the new copper flashing and the weather vane, but when I got closer, I noticed there was a hawk on one of the architectural features.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse



It seemed like an odd place for a Red-tail, but then my mind flashed back to an instant a couple of weeks ago when I thought I saw a Peregrine Falcon fly by…but didn’t trust myself. Oh my gosh! It is a Peregrine!

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

I had to throw this photo in. I can just imagine what is going through this Rock Dove's mind, “OH CRAP!”

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse



I wish I had some more lens...this would have been a great shot.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

Here is our new clock tower dome. Ain’t it pretty?

To get a real "before" close up look, go to the City Hall web page and see the video at the bottom.

7 comments:

Eve said...

That is just awesome luck Steve!! The old tower was beautiful and it's nice to see it's still beautiful and new! Great post!

John Theberge said...

Great before and after photos, I wonder how long it will be before the new copper roof turns green?

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

That is a BIG change Steve and an improvement!! Lovely shots. It won't be too long when the dove is back doing you know what on the new one!! LOL!!

Steve B said...

I think they are doing a very good job at the restoration. There has been a lot of work done to keep the clock tower from coming down. It was in dire need of stabilization. It’s nice to have rustic, but unfortunately, there was so much decay that it could have been lost for ever. The original Blackburn building on Main Street came down this spring. Nothing but a pile of bricks.

The copper has already toned down. When the first put it up, it looked like a bright shiny penny. Now it has browned down already. I'll keep posting from time to time.

goodmorninggloucester said...

Beautiful shots Steve. Just gorgeous.

Keep at it. I'm never disappointed when I stop by to visit ShootingMyUniverse!

Janie said...

You have some amazingly beautiful shots in here!!! My favorite though, happens to be the one looking up main street. Maybe not as scenic or beautiful as the other pics, nbut that one makes my heart happy. Looking forward to checking in often.

Steve B said...

Glad to have you stop by any time. That shot is Gloucester. It's Main Street. I'm delighted that you have such strong feeling for that picture.

Related Posts with Thumbnails