Saturday, October 18, 2008

The glass is half...

Any good photographer worth his salt knows that the best light is the morning light for landscapes. This is why I do not consider myself to be a landscape photographer. I’m not one of those “rise and shine” people. I’m a “slap the snooze bar curmudgeon-in-training”, being much too young to be a full fledged grumpy old man.

We have been having excellent sunrises all week long. The daily routine has been this; at 6:15, I’d start to stir. At that time the colors would be developing in the eastern sky. Around 6:30, the sky would erupt into reds, oranges and blues. By 7:00, the show would be ending as I stepped out of the shower. And off to work I’d go.

This morning, I woke up at 5:30 and thought to myself, “Today, I’m going to get right up and go up to Rockport and catch the sunrise.” That’s what I did. I got dressed and was out the door in seven minutes.

Although Ann's Eyes are cold and grey today, the arbitrary rule I imposed on myself is that the photos must be timely and fresh. So bellow are the fruits of my labor.

Is the glass half empty or is the glass half full? I’m an engineer which means the glass is twice as big as it needs to be. With that philosophy, a morning sitting on the jagged rocks in forty degree weather with the wind shaking the camera beats the hell out of going to work. Maybe that is “glass is half full” thinking, but today is Saturday. Today I am a photographer, not an engineer. I’ll redesign the glass on Monday.



6 comments:

Eve said...

Sounds like a plan Steve...lovely but cold looking photos!! (as I sit here with a winter coat on!!)

A New England Life said...

What an incredible sky in the first photo! Cold and dark. It makes me think of Winter, which I dread.

Good for you getting up first thing in the morning to take some great photos. Can't say I'd have that much initiative myself ; )

SAPhotographs (Joan) said...

I for one appreciate your effort Steve!! LOL!! Beautiful shots. I can never decide if I like the softer colors of dawn or the brighter colors of sunset. Each is equally stunning.

Steve B said...

As you can see, I had to make a decision about posting these and I appreciate the admiration from the three of you. This blog is a chronology and therefore, it is important that I document this harbinger of cold weather. This morning’s sunrise was the same. But it is worth noting that these two sunrises were the result of two layers of clouds, and forgive me for not being scientific this morning, a high layer of dense ice crystals and the lower level of thick cold clouds. Little hints of color were able to make it through. But this is the product of cold weather coming.

Thank the three of you for seeing coldness of the photos. That tells me that they are communicating which is want I really want to happen.

Oh, by the way, I was happy to sleep through the sunrise this morning. Brrr…it’s a cold Fall day.
Best regards,
Steve

Kathleen Valentine said...

Those are just wonderful. I love skies like that. The clouds just SAY "cold". Great shots.

Bird Girl said...

You know...I went to look at your other photos and I do think Ann's Eyes look ever so much better when they are presented on a gray day. Much like the kind of day these eyes would eventually shine for good reason. Wow - they are dramatic - well worth getting up at 5:30AM and braving the wind and the cold to get the shots -bravo!

Related Posts with Thumbnails