Saturday, September 27, 2008

Derby Wharf Light, Salem Massachusetts

This is my 100th post. We are having absolutely dismal weather here on Cape Ann. Does that excuse us from getting out? Heck, no! When I saw the fog socked in, I though of only one thing, I wanted to go down to Salem and shoot the Derby Wharf Light. Chances were good that it would be quiet.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse



I made it down to Salem at high tide. I think that it was prefect because at low tide, sometimes things get a little muddled with the exposed rocks, seaweed, mud and what ever. Perhaps if I made it at low tide, I would have taken different angles to compensate. Who knows?

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

I generally don’t include people in my photography. Why? I just prefer not to alter the mood of the photo with people that I cannot put in the right position, or maybe they are doing something that doesn’t fit what I want to show. There were people walking and jogging to the end of the wharf and I could shoot around them. This man went to the end and just hung out, looking over the harbor. There was a little something in the back of my head saying, “Shoot the frame, it will be the best one”. I wanted a peaceful, reflective photo. He makes the shot. So you see, sometimes you have to break your own rules.



I decided to bring the tripod and both bodies and lenses. Normally for structures, I just bring the short lens, however the decision to bring the 70-300 zoom paid off. The longer lens came in handy because I ran into a Semipalmated Plover and three Semipalmated Sandpipers.

Birds can make an excellent accent to a photo. Here the Semipalmated Sandpiper on the granite wall with the iron ties adds interest. I couldn’t resist just pulling back and shooting him facing out of the picture. Logic tells us to have the plover facing in, but I like the effect of having him look out of the frame. It is totally unexpected and it’s off beat.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

I really like this shot of three Semipalmated Sandpipers. This illustrates why it is fun to go out and shoot in the fog. All three of these birds face different directions with relation to the sun. But because the light is so diffused, there are no faces lost in the shadows. Totally fun! I love fog.

(c)2008 ShootingMyUniverse

3 comments:

EasyDiverChris said...

I especially like the one on the left that looks like it only has one leg. I'm assuming the other one is tucked up for resting.

Their black beaks are highlighted against their white plumage in a way that shows off their bluntness.

Great photo.

Steve B said...

Thanks Chris.

Yes, I am happy to say that there are six legs in this photo. They will stand on one leg while resting the other. Shore birds feed when the tide is out and rest when the tide comes in. These three were comfortable enough with me that they would tuck their beaks under their wings and snooze.

Eve said...

FANTASTIC shots Steve!! What a wonderful blog. I have family in Mass. Thanks for visiting my blog...I'm glad you did....PS...I'm just sipping on a glass of wine so it's off to your other blog!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails